Foodbank WA School Breakfast Program
The Foodbank WA School Breakfast Program supplies quality food products to registered schools free of charge to ensure all children have access to a nutritious breakfast before school. The program was initiated in 2001 in response to rising awareness that 50% of WA school children were:
- not having breakfast at all
- did not eat enough for breakfast or
- consumed unhealthy foods for breakfast such as chocolate and energy drinks
In 2015, around 58,200 breakfasts were supplied to over 16,000 children in 440 schools across WA.
Reported benefits of this and other school breakfast programs include:
- helps improve concentration and reduces lethargy
- boosts energy levels
- improves overall classroom engagement
- improves behaviour
- increases school attendance
To find out more about this program and how your school can join click here.